Sunday, June 1, 2008

Video 4: Choose Your Questions Carefully

When you act in response to some health issue, your action is based on some underlying assumptions. It is interesting to ask if these underlying assumptions define the kinds of results you can expect. As an example, I explain two experiments I teach my students every year. Both experiments are basically asking the same question: "What is Light?" They are designed to see totally different aspects of light. As a result the students get totally different answers to the same question. I explain this in the video. Light is a quantum system, and quantum systems only answer the question you ask. Are you aware of the question you are really asking?

Let's apply the same idea to your health issue. For example, suppose you have a chronic problem of some kind. You have gone to the doctor many times, you have done all the things the doctor suggested, and your condition has not improved. Perhaps you have been asking the question, "What will happen if I assume that I cannot understand what is really wrong with me so I have to go to the doctor and do everything he/she suggests." If you see the results in this light, perhaps the results suggest some alternatives that might produce more interesting results.

In retrospect, my actions 8 years ago show that I asked the question, "How can I heal?" As the result I got answers, acted on them, and am healthier today. It is much more common to ask the question, "How can I cope with this emergency?" If I had asked that question I would not be alive today.

Consider the questions you are asking carefully. The right question can help you heal. The wrong question can sentence you to death.

Here is the video:

No comments: